Saturday 19 November 2011

Engine Covered

Now there's not many jobs under the bonnet that I'll tackle myself, but this one is probably the easiest of all!


Let's face it, the 1.9TDI engine in the Caddy isn't the most aesthetically wonderful piece of engineering, and the lack of an engine cover only adds to the basic-van-austerity-look... time to cover it over.

The 1.9TDI is a familiar engine across the whole VAG range; appearing in VWs, Audis and Skodas. For this particular model I needed to look for one that would fit the 'BLS' coded engine - picked out by the oil-filler being on the left. After scouring eBay for a week or two (finding nothing but broken or over-priced offerings from dismantlers), this Audi version came up on the Caddy2k forums.


The mounting points are already on the Caddy's engine, all I have to do is pop the inner section on first, then press the outer section into place. The under-side of the covers have a rubber surface to them which is supposed to 'dampen' engine-noise. So far I can't say I've noticed any difference (although I am missing the under-bonnet lining of higher-spec'd models).

Here's the cover in place:


Looks like it was always meant to be there. And fills out the engine bay too, making the engine look bigger - so that must give me another 15bhp, right?

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.